Fraudsters over the net might deceive you with their trustworthy appearance and phished sites. Therefore, it is crucial to keep your personal and financial details secure and intact, especially while transferring funds online. Numerous online frauds are prevalent nowadays such as,
- Trojans: When browsing unauthorised and suspicious sites, you become vulnerable to Trojans. This malware gets installed in your computer and steals browsing information and security details like credit card numbers and passwords.
- Phishing Emails: Phishing emails are fraudulent and present themselves as authorised channels. Users fall prey to their appearance and submit sensitive information, thus resulting in banking frauds.
- Illicit remote screen-mirroring
- Deceptive UPI handles
- OTP, PIN related scams
Safety Tips to follow while making Online Currency Transfer
- Use Anti-Virus Software: Genuine antivirus software protects your system from a wide range of malware and phishing websites. It constantly optimises the computer processes and checks files for viruses. Antivirus software is a must in every device connected to the web.
- Avoid Public Wi-Fi and use VPN: By using public Wi-Fi, you create windows for hackers to break into your system and trace all your online visits and transactions. Hackers can inject malware into your system when you browse through insecure connections. Avoid making online payments, transfers and commercial purchases while on public networks.
However, if you use Wi-Fi services regularly, try setting up a reliable VPN on your computer. VPNs create a tunnel between individual network nodes and the internet, thus eliminating the risk of traffic interception by hackers.
- Update your PCs and Smartphones: Make sure that your phone and computer’s OS is up-to-date with the latest security patches and system updates. Do not disable the ‘jailbreaking’ and ‘rooting’ functions in your device. These functions restrict apps from accessing sensitive data and prevent the installation of suspicious applications.
- Change Passwords Periodically: To maintain confidentiality, change your passwords regularly and come up with stronger alternatives each time. Banks never ask for confidential and financial information and PINs via mail or phone. For added security, maintain distinct passwords for portal log-ins and transactions.
- Crosscheck Information: Before making money transfers, make sure to enter clear and accurate details in the columns provided. Always double-check the recipient’s details before initiating the transfer, or you might end up transferring money to a stranger’s account. Check the dates and exchange rate fluctuations too before finalising the transfer specifications. Some banks allow you to block rates or set rates of transfer. In such cases, the transfer initiates the moment the currency reaches the rate set.
- Save Receipts and read Privacy Policies: Always save and store receipts and online communications in your transaction records as they might serve as reliable proofs in times of need. Money transfer services also provide the option for real-time tracking of the transfers.
Read the privacy policies of your chosen money transfer channels to get updated with any new policies, guidelines or offers.
Stay Vigilant and Transfer Money to India
When in doubt, never hesitate to inquire bank officials to send money to India online. Your queries and problems can easily be resolved by professionals working at your bank. Stay alert and keep your information confidential. Transferring money online takes mere minutes but should be done via trustable channels and secure connections.